30071New Yorkers have signed the plea to make our parks #1 in the nation!
382Partners have joined our coalition campaign!
80Candidates have pledged their support for the Parks1 campaign!
Parks, recreation, and open space rank first among a list of factors used by small businesses in choosing where to locate.
Rosie Mendez on Parks
Rosie Mendez for City Council
Part 1 – Yes/No Questions
a. Will you work toward committing at least 1% of the overall city budget to the Parks Department’s expense budget over the course of your term? Yes, I will work toward committing at least 1% of the overall city budget to the Parks Department’s expense budget over the course of my term
> If so, would you dedicate revenue earned through park concessions to parks maintenance and operations, without simultaneous decreases in baseline funding? Yes, I would dedicate revenue earned through park concessions to parks maintenance and operations.
b. Will you establish objective, publicly accessible maintenance standards for all park properties in all five boroughs? b. Yes, I would call upon the Mayor to establish objective, publicly accessible maintenance standards for all park properties.
c. Will you provide in your Mayor’s Management Report park ratings by borough and community board in addition to the citywide level? c. Yes, I will call upon the Mayor to provide park ratings by borough and community board in addition to the citywide level.
> Will you make the official Parks Department “property list” that specifically delineates all 1,700 properties available online? Yes, I will call upon the Mayor to have the official Parks Department “property list” available online.
> Will you make publicly available details of the private funding that helps to maintain and operate many of our public parks? Yes, I will call upon the Mayor to make publicly available details of the private funding that helps to maintain and operate many of our public parks.
a. Will you support legislation that requires regular NYPD reports to the City Council on crime in parks (ie. Intro. 470)? Yes, I will support legislation that requires the NYPD to report to the City Council on crime in parks.
b. Will you work toward making parkland part of the city’s CompStat system? Yes, I will work toward making parkland part of the city’s CompStat system.
5. Open Space/Natural Areas
Part 2 – Open Questions
a. What specific actions would you take to ensure that every park in every neighborhood has green ball fields, working water fountains and open bathrooms?
"If the Parks Department was unable to maintain the parks in my district properly due to funding, I would work to provide a portion of the councilmanic funds for park development as well as advocate for more park funding."
"I believe that it is important to have a fixed crew assigned to a park since they will then best know the utilization of the park and what times to clean the park and what areas need the most attention. The roaming crews are not able to know a park and its specific utilization and community needs as well as a fixed crew."
"I would work to increase the line item in the City’s budget for such use."
2. Recreation & Youth Programming
· What specific actions would you take to revitalize the recreational and amateur sports programs that have been decimated by years of budget cuts?
"As a former track and field competitor, I know the importance of athletic and recreational facilities. I would work closely with community leaders I already know who run little leagues and other sports teams to better understand what their needs are. I would work to obtain more community involvement in the activities while advocating for more funding for these programs."
· If NYC is awarded the Olympics in 2012 or 2016, what specific actions would you take to ensure that parks that are changed, altered or improved as Olympic venues are properly funded and maintained after the Olympics are finished?
4. Community Gardens
· What specific actions would you take to reduce the cost of the annual insurance premiums that community gardeners must pay?
5. Stadiums & Amateur Sports
· What specific actions would you take to require that professional sports organizations assist in maintaining and operating public parks near their facilities?
· How would you provide more multi-purpose facilities for amateur sports and recreation?
6. Waterfront Parks
· How would you improve upon recent investment in the NYC waterfront?
· What are your plans to ensure that citizens in all five boroughs have access to waterfront parks?
· How would you fund the especially costly maintenance of waterfront parks?
7. National Parks
· What steps would you take to promote the use of and access to our city’s national parks (ie. Gateway National Recreation Area, National Parks of NY Harbor)?